The IDPF has got together a who’s-who of people and companies in the eBook world to work on an open-source implementation of a reference ePub3 reading system and container library. And of course Kobo is putting a ton of weight behind it. Also, me: I’m going to be working on this project full-time here very shortly.
- A browser of ‘ePub3-flavoured HTML’ content.
- A library encapsulating the correct parsing and generation of all forms of structured content described in the ePub3 standard.
- Best-in-class support for non-Roman scripts, particularly vertically-flowing ones.
- No limits on its use as the core of a larger project, even commercial ones.
- Lots of industry know-how being funneled into a single output.
So yeah: I’m rather excited about this one. Expect to hear more from me as it all progresses.
Now I’ll just go back to writing ePub3 structured content handling code…